Saturday, June 8, 2013

Successful People versus Unsuccessful People (Idea One)


I am using the principles created by Mary Ellen Tribbey to guide this new Success Series.

Idea #1: Successful people compliment; whereas unsuccessful people criticize.




Have you noticed that there are a significant amount of successful people who like to compliment other people. There are also a considerable  number of individuals who want and desire power that can be highly critical. Now, I am not making all or nothing statements. I will not go down the rabbit hole, saying that all successful people are complimenters or all unsuccessful people are criticizers. We know that this type of dynamic can be problematic. I will say that when I have an issue where one person may tell me that something cannot be done or is impossible, I almost always  ask for a manager or a supervisor who miraculously can do that “un-doable” thing. Now, imagine that.

The original front line person may be adamant about not allowing whatever I am asking (as a customer) but then the manager comes in and allows it. It’s like good cop/bad cop. Unfortunately the front line employee is the bad cop and the supervisor gets to sweep in and be the good cop. I usually attribute this type of behavior to employees not feeling empowered. They have not been given the authority to do “what can be done.”

We can also use this example to think about success and non-success. When I was younger, I often worked in retail and I often was promoted to management relatively quickly. Now, I don’t say this to boast or brag, I say it to describe a mindset. I'm a possibility thinker and opportunity seeker. How can we satisfy or over deliver to this customer? Even though, the rules say one thing. I often talked to management about “what could be done and what was possible” instead of getting stuck on what couldn’t be done or what was vaguely impossible.

Now let’s take this idea a bit further:

For people you think or feel are successful in life, are they complimenters or criticizers?

Do they help or hate?

Photo Courtesy:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images

I originally wrote this post for Bubblews but I have edited it to use on my personal blog.
My Bubblews article can be located here: 
http://www.bubblews.com/news/626970-successful-vs-unsuccessful-and-applying-it-idea-1



No comments:

Post a Comment